[CS-FSLUG] Yes, Ubuntu can absolutely be the default Windows alternative

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Wed Oct 28 22:00:39 CDT 2009

On Wed, 28 Oct 2009 20:57:43 -0500, David McGlone <david at dmcentral.net>
wrote:

> I've been using it for about 2-3 months now. I don't really have any
> complaints.

I kept getting random X server lockups with different applications. I'd be
typing along, invariably on something important, and it would freeze all X
functions. I had to do a hard reset to get it back. Since it didn't happen
with other OSes, I could only conclude it was something unique to the way
Ubuntu is put together. It gave me the excuse I needed to try openSUSE
11.2-RC1. After some initial fixing, it's working quite well.

I've long ago grown tired of testing and hopping from one distro to
another. All I wanted was something that would run on this machine and let
me do my writing. Naturally, it had to be Linux or BSD because of my work
habits. If things keep working as I hope, this will be a keeper.

--
Ed Hurst