[CS-FSLUG] Nvidia Dying?

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Oct 26 01:08:13 CDT 2009

On Oct 25, 2009, at 1:13 PM, Ed Hurst wrote:

> Personally, I have come to prefer Intel, since even the newest
> chipsets
> are supported by current X.org releases almost as quickly as the
> hardware comes out. ATI is somewhat behind that curve.

	I suspect there is, but I'd be sad to see it. I am absolutely amazed
with the GeForce 9400M chipset and the power efficient punch it packs
(which is several orders of magnitude faster than Intel's integrated
chips). When Apple went from GMA to the 9400M it made a huge
difference on laptop performance while also coinciding with an
increase in battery life (admittedly, for all I know to link the 9400M
to that battery life improvement may be post hoc).

	I've been an ATI guy for years, but ATI doesn't have anything to
compete against that line. No one does. I'd really like to see more
companies LIKE nVidia that aren't tied to a particular architecture.
Since ATI merged with AMD, there have been areas that nVidia really
has only had to compete against Intel against.

	I'm hoping Larabee will help on the Intel front, but I suppose if it
does, that could also kill nVidia...  it would be a sad day. My first
3D accelerator was an nVidia based on the S3 ViRGE...

	-Tim