[CS-FSLUG] Balsa Mail client.

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Sat Oct 24 07:51:05 CDT 2009

On Saturday 24 October 2009 01:19:01 Davidm at hisfeet.net wrote:
> The permissions are the same for each file and directory on the laptop and
> on the desktop.  The user name and password is also the same, and the
> operating system is the same.  I checked the Preferences on Balsa in both
> machines and they are the same.
>
> Baffled!  ~/.balsa/mbox%2Fhome%2Fmintm%2Fmailbox (which I believe
> represents the inbox) has a size of 37.4kb on the desktop.  And that's
> what size it had on the laptop after copying it over there. Balsa on the
> desktop shows 647 emails in the inbox.  Balsa on the laptop also showed
> 647 files in the inbox (bold faced numbers next to the word "inbox" in the
> GUI). But the laptop won't let me actually see any of those files.  Then
> when I checked the mail with the laptop, two unexpected things happened.
> The size of that file changed to 336 bytes.  And a file was written in the
> home directory ~/mailbox.  That file shows a size of 604216 in MC, or
> 591.1 kb in the gui file browser.  When I view the file in mc it appears
> to be the file that represents the inbox.
>
> Looks like an Mbox file.  Now iuf I can somehow get balsa to read it, or
> find an mbox file reader of some sort....??

I'm stumped :-(

I've experienced just what you describe many many times and every time it's
been because when I tarred up the mail file and copied it somewhere else, for
some reason the contents of the tar file would get their permissions changed.

I suspect the permissions changed because I would move the tarred file to a
shared partition and then retrieve it from there with another computer.

--
Blessings
David M.