[CS-FSLUG] Confirming Old Complaints

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Fri Oct 16 16:42:00 CDT 2009

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 16:10:49 -0500, Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> wrote:

> You know, Ed, Ubuntu would probably be a lot more pleasant on your new
> machine. You might try the most recent Ubuntu Long Term Support release
> on it (not Kubuntu, I'd suggest). The LTS releases would give you the
> non-rolling release style you like, and I find Ubuntu offers the most
> "just works" and "non-intrusive" functionality of the distros.

Except when it doesn't. Every time I've tried it, the monitor was *always*
wrong and there's no simple resolution (four different monitors). I've had
to rewrite the xorg.conf by hand, chasing down all the caveats involved in
that -- and there are many. That's what I meant by a totally different set
of expectations: They tweak the whole thing to the point it either works
immediately or not at all. I've never done half so much tweaking and
fighting with Xorg as I did on the Ubuntus. Frankly, such a major failure
has soured me on ever giving them another chance. I find their approach
perverse, not at all like vanilla Debian.

Besides, the next iteration of LTS won't be until they start the 10.x
series, as I understand it. Meanwhile, the old 8.04, from what I've read,
suffers the same driver issues as CentOS/RHEL -- the kernel can't talk to
the SATA interface on recent Intel chipsets, so it hangs during
initialization.

--
Ed Hurst