[CS-FSLUG] Confirming Old Complaints

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Fri Oct 16 12:04:31 CDT 2009

On Fri, 16 Oct 2009 11:25:54 -0500, l4c <l4c at thelinuxlink.net> wrote:

> Sounds a lot to me like SUSE has soured you on Linux altogether.

Then you missed my point, and I'll take the blame for that. Were it not
for SuSE 6.1, I would have never gotten past the introductory experience
of Linux.  RedHat clones come second in terms of my work habits -- some of
which habits are simply non-negotiable, based on a learning disability.
That was my point, in part: Linux is all good, but I doubt I'm the only
one with peculiar needs. In my long experience with Linux and BSD (10+
years), SUSE came closest on the long string of used and salvage hardware
which was my lot in life until yesterday. That's the other peculiar need
issue; I'm called by God to live in such a way my income keeps me below
the official poverty line. So folks with LDs and poverty are naturally my
special interests in life, the folks to whom I cater in all things.

I should have mentioned all that, but it's what's behind my evaluation.
The slice of society to which God called me means almost everyone will be
dealing with older hardware, and won't carry a typical user profile. SUSE
is the best first choice for the simple reason it covers the broadest
selection of that hardware, and is usually by far the easiest for newbies
to install, so that's the good part. The bad part is Novell/SUSE has
rejected the notion of supporting older hardware by not supporting older
versions of their distro. That's where RedHat and friends come in, but
that requires a lot more work and hand-holding to install. This is my
experience helping the folks to whom I'm called.

Yes, I loved Debian and friends, but I'm not the only one who noticed
peculiar problems. While Etch was, by far, vastly superior to every other
release of Debian in my experience, it's pretty much dead now. The Ubuntu
stuff has never worked for me, mostly because of hardware issues and what
I consider a totally different subculture of expectations, a different
mindset and approach to things. I can't recommend what I don't really
like, but I have given away plenty of their CDs. What I dislike about SUSE
is what disappoints me for Linux in general, but if I have to put with
those things, it might as well be SUSE. Please, don't make the mistake of
thinking I haven't sampled broadly enough to know at least a little bit
about that, to include Knoppix, Kanotix, Mepis, Corel, Mandrake, Fedora,
branches of Slackware, and some other, really obscure stuff. By no means
an expert, as you surely know, I never intended to be a guru, but to make
sure I left no stone unturned in helping my ministry audience.

My old complaint remains: While Linux so far comes closest to what I find
ideal in a computer OS, it's unlikely to ever get any closer. Most of the
folks involved, for good or ill, are hobbyists, and it's reflected in what
Linux development emphasizes. It's a compromise, I know and accept. That
does not keep me from wishing for something better.

--
Ed Hurst