[CS-FSLUG] Gnome

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Sun Oct 4 20:01:26 CDT 2009

My first full day of using Gnome. I have to say So far I am liking it.

A few things on my mind so far:

Evolution is nice and clean and setting it up is a breeze.

I've noticed when inserting a DVD, it automatically plays. I don't think
I've seen that since my windows days.

rythembox works with radio stations and lastFM without any hassle. I
always had a hassle with Amarok.

For some reason, Fonts look so much better. I have no clue why, but they
do.

When I insert an external device such as a USB stick, it opens instead
of an icon on the toolbar where you have to click on the icon, then
click on the device then choose what to open it with.

When pushing the eject button on the cd-rom, it actually opens. I've had
this problem with KDE for quite some time so this really stood out to
me.

Anyway, I am not knocking KDE, but I have noticed a whole lot more
attention to usability and detail in Gnome (I can't say much for
stability yet), where KDE seems to throw every feature in whether it
works or not.

Maybe it's just me, but after about 12 years of using KDE, I'm starting
to think otherwise.

I'll have more on my experiences later. I'm pretty sure I'll find some
downsides to Gnome But so far I've found nothing.

--
Blessings
David M.