[CS-FSLUG] OT: Conficker and Virus Scanners

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Tue May 26 08:36:50 CDT 2009

What I have found is that a number of the suite products are very slow.
The AV by itself is fine, but having a bundled firewall,
spyware-checker, malware-checker, etc.  All of those things together
usually slowed down a system, regardless of which vendor one used.

I personally use the McAffee antivirus offering ("Total Protection",
which is a business class offering) that I got through ICTA (icta.net)
While you need to work through a representative, it is a really awesome
program.  The idea is that they have a huge bulk subscription for the
"Body of Christ" organization.  Anyone from within this organization can
participate in the bulk discount.  Primarily, this is being used for
missionaries, but lots of churches and other orgs are also chipping in.
The more people who buy their AV through ICTA as a part of that
organization (The "Body of Christ"), the greater the bulk discount.
Anyway.  It has been working great for me.  The only "issue" is that one
needs to have an account manager for your group.   So, a church or a
mission has one person who signs up as an account manager, then they
work with all the folks in their smaller org.

    - Tim Young