[CS-FSLUG] Creating DVD Clips

David McGlone david at dmcentral.net
Wed May 13 20:00:01 CDT 2009

On Tuesday 12 May 2009 12:54:00 pm Davo Smith wrote:
> On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 1:49 AM, David McGlone <david at dmcentral.net>
wrote:
> > Does anyone know how I can create small DVD clips from a DVD?
> >
> > My brother has a do it yourself DVD of him teaching countertop building
> > and he wants me to put clips of it on a web page, but I don't know how to
> > create the clips. Would anyone by any chance know?
>
> I tend to use mencoder to do this.
>
> The command line (that can be put into a batch file or script) looks
> something like this:
>
> mencoder dvd://1 -ss 1:45:30 -endpos 1:05 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
> bitrate=1000 -alang en -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3 -o output.avi
>
> That will generate a 'output.avi' containing mpeg4 video, starting at
> 1 hour, 45 min and 30 seconds of track 1 (the dvd://1 specifies the
> track) and ending 1 min 5 seconds later. The language is set to
> English (-slang en would add English subtitles).
>
> It is also possible to create a 'flv' file (more suitable for
> streaming over the internet), but I forget the exact options off the
> top of my head. Alternatively you can reduce the bitrate a bit to make
> a more reasonable download.
>
> This works with both the Linux and Windows versions of Mencoder.

Thanks Davo, I will add this to my bag of tricks, but I chose to use clone2go
on windows. :-( As much as I love linux, I just didn't feel like fooling
around on the command line and on top of it, I was already more than mildly
agitated that I had Googled for a linux solution for 2 days before consulting
with the list. Sadly I couldn't find zilch for linux.

Blessings,
David M.
http://www.dmcentral.net