[CS-FSLUG] Creating DVD Clips

Davo Smith christiansource at davosmith.co.uk
Tue May 12 11:54:00 CDT 2009

On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 1:49 AM, David McGlone <david at dmcentral.net> wrote:
> Does anyone know how I can create small DVD clips from a DVD?
>
> My brother has a do it yourself DVD of him teaching countertop building and he
> wants me to put clips of it on a web page, but I don't know how to create the
> clips. Would anyone by any chance know?

I tend to use mencoder to do this.

The command line (that can be put into a batch file or script) looks
something like this:

mencoder dvd://1 -ss 1:45:30 -endpos 1:05 -ovc xvid -xvidencopts
bitrate=1000 -alang en -oac mp3lame -lameopts vbr=3 -o output.avi

That will generate a 'output.avi' containing mpeg4 video, starting at
1 hour, 45 min and 30 seconds of track 1 (the dvd://1 specifies the
track) and ending 1 min 5 seconds later. The language is set to
English (-slang en would add English subtitles).

It is also possible to create a 'flv' file (more suitable for
streaming over the internet), but I forget the exact options off the
top of my head. Alternatively you can reduce the bitrate a bit to make
a more reasonable download.

This works with both the Linux and Windows versions of Mencoder.

Davo