[CS-FSLUG] Fragmentation over non-critical matters wastes resources

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun May 3 18:38:29 CDT 2009

On May 3, 2009, at 5:11 PM, Karl Kleinpaste wrote:

> GNOME is a fine desktop environment.  A suggestion that it *and* KDE
> be
> "replaced" (ha, phooey...like that's going to happen before the heat
> death of the universe) because we can now do a "better" job using --
> and
> this is truly priceless -- minority players in the areas of *both* the
> language infrastructure (ObjC) *and* the toolkit infrastructure
> (GNUStep) is beyond absurd.

	I agree GNOME is a fine environment. But to say *Step and Objective C
are minority players, I would assert, is a massive mistake.

	Recall, my point is that it would bring Linux development much closer
to Mac OS X development. Notably, Mac OS X is the best selling UNIX
desktop (and, that Real UNIX you talked about at that). Cocoa
(GNUStep) and Objective C are its foundation. Having the same
foundation would make things such as porting programs much easier, I
would think.

	I'm not saying it would work, but particularly with the amount of new
developers being created by the Cocoa-Objective C revolution otherwise
known as the iPhone, I'd suggest there is a lot of momentum here.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Into this Universe, and why not knowing,
Editor, OFB.biz   | Nor whence, like Water willy-nilly flowing:
tbutler at ofb.biz   | And out of it, as Wind along the Waste,
timothybutler.us  | I know not whither, willy-nilly blowing."
                                            -- Edward FitzGerald