[CS-FSLUG] Fragmentation over non-critical matters wastes resources

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sun May 3 18:20:49 CDT 2009

Karl Kleinpaste wrote:
> Timothy Butler <tbutler at ofb.biz> writes:

[snip]

> "An entirely new DE" is not a desirable goal at this stage.  If Linux is
> to gain further foothold on the desktop, the idea of scrapping
> everything that has gone before because you think you can replace it
> with something new&improved is absurd on its face.  The army has been
> winning some turf wars, winning a few souls away from the Dark Side,
> winning some market share.  So the solution now is to disband the army,
> and raise a new one?  What does the word "momentum" mean, anyway?

EXCELLENT, Karl! If anything kills off Linux, it will be forking and
nothing else!! If there were a LOT less distros. then there would be a
lot more work done on the OS and KDE/Gnome desktop managers. We'd ALL
benefit a great deal, and MickySoft would indeed have a great deal to
worry about.

Fred

--
Gun-toting Americans are clearly more self-sufficient than the sissy
Europeans. This is great news for everyone except Barney Frank, who's