[CS-FSLUG] A WONDERFUL reminder of what we SHOULD be doing, and that we have NOTHING to fear!

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri May 1 22:44:05 CDT 2009

Miss California’s Christian Witness
By Jonathan Falwell

In most Christians’ lives we face times when unforeseen challenges serve
to test our capacity (and our willingness) to step into the proverbial
fire of standing up for our faith.  These moments actually serve to
define who we are: bold followers of Christ or faint-hearted individuals
who retreat from conflict.

Carrie Prejean, the California representative in this year’s Miss USA
competition in Las Vegas, was faced with one of these situations
recently when she was asked before a national television audience to
voice her perspective on same-sex marriage.
In a now famous statement, Carrie replied, in part, “I do believe that
marriage should be between a man and a woman; no offense to anybody out
there.  But that’s how I was raised and I believe that it should be
between a man and a woman.”

As a result of this assertion which reflects her Christian faith, Carrie
has been bitterly assailed by critics, most prominently by homosexual
activist and blogger Perez Hilton, who posed the question.  (It should
be noted that Carrie is a student at San Diego Christian College so it
is interesting, to say the least, that Mr. Hilton would target Carrie to
answer the pointed query.  But we know that God works in strange ways.)

On Wednesday, my brother Jerry Jr., the chancellor at Liberty
University, introduced Carrie to our student body during a convocation
service.  She told students that the unexpected event has opened more
doors than she ever dreamed possible to speak about her faith in Jesus
Christ.

“This has given me an opportunity to proclaim my faith with millions of
people,” she told a cheering Liberty University audience.
She said that when Mr. Hilton’s question was posed, she immediately knew
that she had come to a spiritual crossroads.  “I knew right there that I
was either going to please man or please God.  And I knew there was no
choice,” she told our convocation audience.
Then she reminded students that the Christian life is often full of
challenges.  “You’re going to be persecuted, you’re going to be made fun
of and you’re going to be called names.  But when you are given an
opportunity to stand up for Christ, do it,” Carrie said with a radiant
smile.
“We deeply appreciate what you did,” my brother told her.

As I consider Carrie’s testimony, I cannot help but ponder a situation
that took place in the sixth century B.C.  The Book of Daniel, chapter
three, tells us of three men—Shadrach, Meshach and Abed-Nego—who refused
to bow down to a gold statue of King Nebuchadnezzar.  As a penalty, all
three were condemned to be cast into a raging furnace.

But they remained undaunted.  “Our God whom we serve is able to deliver
us from the burning fiery furnace, and He will deliver us from your
hand, O king” (verse 17, NKJV).  And as they were tossed into that
blazing oven, the men were unharmed even as those around them perished.
 And as the king looked into that furnace he could see the astonishing
image of God standing with the three men in the midst of the fire.

My friends, we face many fires and tests in life.  But just as God stood
with His servants in the killer furnace of King Nebuchadnezzar, He will
stand with you.  As Christians, we must remain true to the Savior who is
always true to us.  I’m thankful to Carrie Prejean for reminding
Christians everywhere that God will never forsake those who know Him as
Savior.

--
Gun-toting Americans are clearly more self-sufficient than the sissy
Europeans. This is great news for everyone except Barney Frank, who's