[CS-FSLUG] Hacker...Me

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Sat Jan 31 10:08:04 CST 2009

Its up and running.  Thanks all for the help.  I can now access all
three computers from any one of the others.  I really didnt think I
could get the Linux box to talk to the XP boxes as I had tried before
and failed.  xtightVNC was the solution to the whole problem.

I wish I knew more about networking. During my 40+ years designing
software and computers, networking and the relationships between LAN
and Internet networking, were an area I missed.  Its still a bit
confusing to me.  Also I am new to Linux so that is a slow learning
curve as well.

On 1/31/09, Jonathan E. Brickman <jeb at joshuacorps.org> wrote:
> Given that the MagicJack machine is XP, go to a command prompt (Start/Run
> CMD.EXE), run 'ipconfig'.
>
>  J.E.B.
>

> > On 1/29/09, Robert Wohlfarth <rbwohlfarth at gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > >  1) Download TightVNC for Windows onto the MagicJack machine from
> > >  http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html#stable
> > >  2) Install the TightVNC software.
> > >  3) Configure the VNC server to start as a service.
> > >  4) Make a note of the IP address for the MagicJack machine.
> > >  5) Allow VNC through the firewall of the MagicJack machine.
> > >  6) Install Freespire's package for xtightvnc on the Linux client.
> > >  7) Allow VNC through the firewall of Freespire.
> > >  8) Fire up the client and connect to the MagicJack IP address.
> > >  9) Download TightVNC onto the second Windows machine.
> > >  10) Allow VNC through the firewall.
> > >  11) Fire up the client and connect to the MagicJack IP address.
> > >

> > OK...this looks promising.  I did steps 1 through11 with the exception
> > of #4.  I couldnt figure out how to find that address.  But when I got
> > to the step #8 , I fired up the client and it wants that address.  So
> > if I can figure out where to find that address, I think this is going
> > to work.
> >
> > Jim Isbell
> > "If you are not living on the edge, well then,
> > you are just taking up too much space."

Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."