[CS-FSLUG] Hacker...Me

Jon Mark Allen csfslug at allensonthe.net
Thu Jan 29 22:45:54 CST 2009

On Thu, Jan 29, 2009 at 19:17, Robert Wohlfarth <rbwohlfarth at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Jim Isbell, W5JAI" <jim.isbell at gmail.com> wrote:
>> What I NEED is the ability to access and run programs on a PC XT
>> computer in the closet with no key board or monitor, from a remote
>> station.  One of the remote stations is Linux (Freespire 2.0) and the
>> other is Win XP.  It would be nioce if bothe of these could,
>> separately of coures, remotely control the XP computer in the closet.

One option I haven't seen mentioned yet is FreeNX [1].

I have to be honest and say I haven't used it a lot, but from what
I've seen it's orders of magnitude better than VNC and works
X-platform.   It's the open source implementation of NoMachine

>From the site:

"NX is an exciting new technology for remote display. It provides near
local speed application responsiveness over high latency, low
bandwidth links. The core libraries for NX are provided by NoMachine
under the GPL. FreeNX is a GPL implementation of the NX Server and NX
Client Components."

I think it could be worth looking into. (And since I already said I
haven't used it much, I think it should be obvious I'm not affiliated
with them in any way :-) )

[1] http://freenx.berlios.de/

--
JM

/* If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't
been much of a day.
-- John A. Wheeler */