[CS-FSLUG] Hacker...Me

Robert Wohlfarth rbwohlfarth at gmail.com
Thu Jan 29 19:17:47 CST 2009

"Jim Isbell, W5JAI" <jim.isbell at gmail.com> wrote:
> What I NEED is the ability to access and run programs on a PC XT
> computer in the closet with no key board or monitor, from a remote
> station.  One of the remote stations is Linux (Freespire 2.0) and the
> other is Win XP.  It would be nioce if bothe of these could,
> separately of coures, remotely control the XP computer in the closet.

I only recommended VNC to avoid all of the confusion about whether you
have RDP or not. I figured you just wanted something that worked.
Making it pretty can always be done later.

1) Download TightVNC for Windows onto the MagicJack machine from
http://www.tightvnc.com/download.html#stable
2) Install the TightVNC software.
3) Configure the VNC server to start as a service.
4) Make a note of the IP address for the MagicJack machine.
5) Allow VNC through the firewall of the MagicJack machine.
6) Install Freespire's package for xtightvnc on the Linux client.
7) Allow VNC through the firewall of Freespire.
8) Fire up the client and connect to the MagicJack IP address.
9) Download TightVNC onto the second Windows machine.
10) Allow VNC through the firewall.
11) Fire up the client and connect to the MagicJack IP address.

--
Robert Wohlfarth
rbwohlfarth at gmail.com

Enter through the narrow gate... But small is the gate and narrow the
road that leads to life, and only a few find it. -- Matthew 7:13a,14