[CS-FSLUG] Hacker...Me

Jim Isbell, W5JAI jim.isbell at gmail.com
Tue Jan 27 21:53:49 CST 2009

Thanks, that's a start at the three projects, and perhaps the most
pressing project as my wife didn't like MagicJack until she saw the
screen display of the phone book.  Now she wants it in every room....I
think I created a "Frankenstein"

OK, I'm game, as the guy said just before the Aggie shot him.

I went to CNR and installed xtightvncviewer.  I then did a commandline
 xtightvncviewer and it produced a screen with a dialog box and a
cursor and a logo at the top, "VNC Server:".  Exactly what I do with
that I dont know.

Also I need to know where I get the VNC application that I install on
the XP machine.  Is that something that comes with XP or is it a third
party application?  I did a search on the XP machine for "VNC" and
found nothing under that either within the file or in the name of the
file.

Once both are installed, where do I find directions on how to use them?

On 1/27/09, Robert Wohlfarth <rbwohlfarth at gmail.com> wrote:
> "Jim Isbell, W5JAI" <jim.isbell at gmail.com> wrote:
>  > 1b) Also involved with this project is trying to figure out how to
>  > use my desktop running Freespire 2.0 Linux to connect to the
>  > telephone server on the LAN so that I can use my keyboard and monitor
>  > to operate the XP computer by remote.  Maybe not possible as I have
>  > never been able to get the Linux computer to interface with my wife's
>  > XP PC either.  Maybe there is some software that will pull the two
>  > together???
>

> VNC is always a good option. Install a VNC server on XP. Make sure you
>  run it as a service. Then access XP from Linux using a VNC client.
>  xtightvncviewer works pretty well.
>
>  --
>  Robert Wohlfarth
>  rbwohlfarth at gmail.com
>
>  And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love
>  him, who have been called according to his purpose. -- Romans 8:28

Jim Isbell
you are just taking up too much space."