[CS-FSLUG] EU says IE violates antitrust

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Fri Jan 23 00:57:20 CST 2009

Stephen J. McCracken wrote:
>>> wine. MS could care less about their free browser, but it is one of
>>> the few things that keeps people using windows in their homes.
>> I DON'T know of any site where one would have to use that intrusive
>> garbage. I've always managed between FF and Konqi. to access any site I
>> had to access.
>
> I know of several where we have to allow IE access (we usually block IE
> from accessing the Internet where I am and the standard here is
> Firefox).  They usually use some sort of ActiveX scripting or other MS
> specific stuff.

As I said, I haven't had that problem, but I know it exists. I'd say
that, in general anyway, there's ample businesses to do business with
that don't have that limitation. That is, their IT staff and web
builders are better. IF there wasn't any way around some foolish web
builders stupidity, I'd somehow organize a large and vocal persistent
group who would continually "hammer" on the site builder until they got
with the program. ANY bank that would insist on ActiveX should be WIDELY
advertised on the Net. as using it. It's criminal, IMHO. I'd also file
complaints with Fed. and State banking agencies because of it's use.
There's ample articles on the Net. to support your position.

As an aside, a few yrs., I ran into the site builder for one of our
local banks...NOT my bank. During the discussion, he said he was using
XP to design it and yes, was going to use ActiveX controls. I firmly
made my intentions known, IF he did so, and that I'd be following the
development of the site, testing it myself, and that I had no problem
talking to the Pres. of the bank, Fed. and State regulators if he
pursued a specific IE site using ActiveX.

He had no idea who I was but soon found out from a local ISP that he had
better pay attention to what I told him. I don't know if he used XP or
not to build the site, but it worked perfectly with FF and Konqi., and
DIDN'T use any ActiveX when it was finally built. Sometimes the mere
FIRM notice of eminent danger to ones job by doing something very
stupid, in this case a possible breech of bank security, is enough to
give them a reality check.

Fred

--
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed
regularly -- and for the same reason."