[CS-FSLUG] National Safety Council Urges Total Ban on Cell Use While Driving

David McGlone d.mcglone at att.net
Tue Jan 20 22:26:55 CST 2009

On Tuesday 20 January 2009 8:32:56 pm Stephen J. McCracken wrote:
> >> Just to make us think:
> >>
> >> ...on doing "x" while driving.
> >>
> >> ...on whether I marry someone of the same sex.
> >>
> >> ...on whether a homosexual adopts a child.
> >>
> >> ...on whether a woman has an abortion.

> > YOU ARE TROLLING
>
> Maybe a little bit as I did take what you said to the next logical step,
> but I think much of what we say, we say from the gut without really
> thinking about it and the implications of it.  And we don't always think
> about how our Christianity might influence what we really *should* be
> saying.

If this is so, then you are not being true to yourself.

> If you think about it, the Law of the Old Testament really did get into
> the lives of people restricting what they ought to do at a micromanaging
> level some might say.  How much of that applies to our lives now, could
> be discussed and I meant the above to help us think along those lines.
>
> > Like I said, I am pro-life. I believe that a person's rights end where
> > another's begins. [snip] So when rights are in conflict, life issues
> > trump all others, then contractual arrangements between the parties, and
> > after that it comes down to property ownership.
>
> This could very well be said in the issue of driving while {drinking,
> talking on a cell phone, reading, putting on make-up, etc}.  If what one
> is doing is greatly endangering others' lives, should he be allowed to
> do it?

No. But we need to make sure we understand fully the subject at hand, before
taking a stance on something. (read my reply to Davo Smith)

I believe our lifestyle, ideas, and most of all, our beliefs are shaped by the
events that have happened in our lives, and how those very events have shaped
our thinking and made us who we are today.

If you don't believe me, sit back and close your eyes and imagine really hard,
growing up with a disability, or worse, heaven forbid it happens, envision it
happening to one of your children. Try as hard as you can to put yourself in
their shoes. Here's a suggestion, my mom even tried this, plug your ears for a
whole day, see what kind of world it is, go shopping, drive around, try to
understand whats going on around you with just your eyes. Envision living like
this every day. If you had to do this every day, would you think differently? I
guarantee you would!

--
David McG.