[CS-FSLUG] Linux Audio: PulseAudio

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Mon Jan 12 19:00:50 CST 2009

Josiah Ritchie wrote:
> On Ubuntu, PulseAudio is the default now. I've struggled to get it
> working a couple times when it has failed. It has much to give, but
> doesn't seem to be near flawless yet in my experience. I really like
> being able to shift output and input between headphones, microphones
> and speakers.
>
> Audacity needs to be either revived or replaced soon. In the Linux
> environment, I've found it to be a consistent hassle to setup for
> recording for awhile.
>
> JSR/
Josiah, please try this recipe:

and let me know what happens.  I am successfully doing Audacity with the
Pulse autoshutoff, not the virtual device, but that will be next.  I am
on Linux Mint, which is a polish-mod of Ubuntu, not very far from your
rig.  Flawless Pulse is not, but generally do-able I think it just might
be, and I have never seen 'generally do-able' before for sound on Linux,
except in the very early pre-ALSA days when things were very simple.

J.E.B.