[CS-FSLUG] Permissions Structure

l4c at thelinuxlink.net l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Sat Jan 10 09:47:00 CST 2009

On Sat, 10 Jan 2009, Ed Hurst wrote:

> I've tried to get specific answer on the CentOS forums, but I suppose
> they aren't interested in addressing it.
>
> I notice a difference between how different distros handle default
> permissions. Those aimed at the server market are naturally more
> strict, not allowing users to see most logs, tighter restrictions on
> external file systems, etc. All well and good, and other distros
> recognize on the desktop those restrictions won't do.
>
> Can someone outline for me the most efficient way to loosen such
> restrictions? I admit I don't understand whether it's a matter of PAM,
> or groups, or simply a collection of decisions about folder and file
> default permissions. It seems picking away at individual issues isn't
> very efficient when the difference is something more fundamental.
>
> Please refrain from stern lectures on security ;-)
>
> --
> Ed Hurst
> ------------

As with all things in Linux/unix there are different methodology for
doing different things.  If this is a personal box, or just one that you
administer, the easiest way for you to make sure you have access to
everything you need is to make sure you user is in /etc/sudoers.  Once you
are in there as an "ALL" user, you can simply access restricted things by
using sudo to do it.  For example, "sudo cat /var/somelog" or "sudo
/sbin/shutdown" will ask you for a password - YOURS not roots, and then
perform the specified task as a system superuser.

--
-Linc Fessenden