[CS-FSLUG] Permissions Structure

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sat Jan 10 09:14:24 CST 2009

I've tried to get specific answer on the CentOS forums, but I suppose
they aren't interested in addressing it.

I notice a difference between how different distros handle default
permissions. Those aimed at the server market are naturally more
strict, not allowing users to see most logs, tighter restrictions on
external file systems, etc. All well and good, and other distros
recognize on the desktop those restrictions won't do.

Can someone outline for me the most efficient way to loosen such
restrictions? I admit I don't understand whether it's a matter of PAM,
or groups, or simply a collection of decisions about folder and file
default permissions. It seems picking away at individual issues isn't
very efficient when the difference is something more fundamental.

Please refrain from stern lectures on security ;-)

--
Ed Hurst