[CS-FSLUG] IMAP email software

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Sun Jan 4 22:15:01 CST 2009

> I suppose I will try Evolution again, just to make the circle complete,
> though Novell doesn't really seem to care much about a huge chunk of
> both investment and potential market.  I suppose it is really
> Microsoft's investment in Novell making it happen that way.
>
> J.E.B.

OK, I'm shocked, and must reverse myself.  Some people at Novell (or
SUSE, or something) are really caring.  Evolution is tremendously more
polished than the last time I tried it, perhaps six to eight months ago.
I had heard rumors SUSE's new-ish build community (with lots of
resources available) is working very hard.  For anyone needing to
verify, this is Evolution 2.24.2, with copyright 1999 - 2008 Novell,
Inc. "and others" it says in the Help/About, running the standard .mint
package (which calls Ubuntu debs generally) in the current Linux Mint,
with boilerplate Gnome as DE/WM.

There is an Exchange2IMAP desktop applet out there, saw its pages a
month ago or so, which will permit a good IMAP client to access
everything on an Exchange server. I wonder how this better Evolution
would work in that situation.

I am typing this email into Evolution right now, and I find it
delightful!  Good speed so far, good word wrapping, good paragraph
handling, good default font, good IMAP so far.  Will have to see how the
HTML works over time.  The sole complaint I have so far is no "increase
quotation level" button...but I can live with that easily, the "Paste
Quotation" is there in the Edit menu, /with keystroke shortcut to it as
well as everything else there/, a big plus over T-bird.

J.E.B.