[CS-FSLUG] IMAP email software

Jonathan E. Brickman jeb at joshuacorps.org
Sun Jan 4 21:48:58 CST 2009

>> Anyone using IMAP for email?  Is Thunderbird the only reliable and
>> fully-functional (HTML editing and viewing, multiple accounts, etc.)
>> email application on Linux?  Every 3-6 months I tend to try KMail or
>> Evolution or something, but they have always disappointed.
>>

> T-Bird is better than "LookOut" and "LookOut Express" from MickySoft as
> well. So far, it can't be beat in the Linux world, IMHO.
>
> Fred

I think so too.  I tested out KMail yesterday, and found that when I
tried to clean out an IMAP folder, it insisted on copying all of the
messages locally as the first step.  Yecch.  I also tried alpine again,
and remembered why IMAP was originally known as a terribly
resource-heavy protocol originally:  alpine, like pine, doesn't cache
anything, and (shockingly) is slower today on my broadband than pine was
in 1994 over my prized 28.8 with Slackware.

I suppose I will try Evolution again, just to make the circle complete,
though Novell doesn't really seem to care much about a huge chunk of
both investment and potential market.  I suppose it is really
Microsoft's investment in Novell making it happen that way.

J.E.B.