[CS-FSLUG] Theory Exercise: Stable Desktop

Ed Hurst ehurst at soulkiln.org
Sat Jan 3 10:06:19 CST 2009

Eduardo Sánchez wrote:

> KDE 3.5.10 is one answer. It's been over 2 years since its release and
> it got lots of bugfixes. It seems that it will still get a little more
> maintenance. It has a huge amount of localization, and plenty of apps as
> well.

Sometime around 3.5.2, on several distros and on three different
machines, KDE across the board has maintained one particular bug: the
screensaver and DPMS controls do not work. Period. I get no interaction
between the running process and the hardware. The screensaver never
comes on. Instead, the hardware does its default and blanks the screen
after a short period of inactivity. 3.5.9 on openSUSE 11.0 (and 3.5.10
on 11.1) still does this. It's also broken in Etch and Lenny, and it
doesn't matter whether I run 32-bit or 64-bit.

There are other annoyances I could list, but the point is KDE has gotten
progressively more broken in my experience. I am particularly
disappointed in Konsole with it's spastic changes and regressions each
release, Kscd, Koffice never fixing the kerning on TTFs, etc. Of all the
projects, this one has recently become far worse with the attitude of,
"We aren't fixing older releases. Upgrade of buzz off." I got enough of
that from the earlier days of GNOME.

Qt and Gtk both are just dandy, but the two major desktops symbolize all
that's wrong with Open Source: too much, too soon, and too many
ill-considered innovations.

--
Ed Hurst