[CS-FSLUG] A new distro model for the real-world desktop

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Thu Jan 1 13:20:21 CST 2009

>>    Principle: if installing software is made harder and not easier,
>> even if it nets a more secure, stable system, you won't get users to
>> adopt it. Linux is already harder to install software on than Mac
>> OS X
>> or Windows, though at the net gain of easy updates. If you can keep
>> the
>> easy updates *and* make it easier to install, you go a long way
>> towards
>> a real world desktop.
>
> How is "apt-get install openoffice" harder than others?  Or using
> synaptic to check a box and have it install with all dependencies?
> (Just wondering at your thought process.)

	It requires the user to know how to do it. If you know how, it is
super simple. But, this project seems to be focused on desktop users.

	If I download an application for the Mac, it pops open a disk image
(or, if I have physical media, that pops open) and typically the
folder has a big colorful sign that with an arrow. On the one end of
the arrow is the program, on the other is a link to the applications
folder. The user drags the app, following the arrow, and bang. It works.

	No need to run any programs or know any commands. At all.

	Really, Windows makes it simple too. Stick in a CD, it auto plays,
you click install and it runs through the installer. Still simple.

	Asking a user to load synaptic and wander through it is too much
unless you make synaptic more fun to use. Make it like the iTunes App
Store for the iPhone with ratings, user reviews and screenshots (see
also the Wii Ware Store, PlayStation Store, Xbox 360 Dashboard,
Android Market, etc.) and suddenly people would like it. Right now, it
is fine for system admins but not for the average user.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Do  not forget that  the value and interest of
Editor, OfB.biz   | life is not so much to do conspicuous things...
tbutler at ofb.biz   | as to do ordinary things with the perception of
timothybutler.us  | their enormous value."
                                       -- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin