[CS-FSLUG] Merging two networks while keeping the modems separate

Colin Kennedy kennedc at telus.net
Fri Sep 5 16:53:40 CDT 2008

Nathan
    Did anyone ever get back to you ob this question?

    You will need to add a router between the two networks in order to
route the packets (the only way to keep the 2 networks separated). See
the attached modified drawing.
    This can be done with an older PC and Linux. Could be run Headless,
using console redirection over serial port.

    See the following documents.
       http://www.aboutdebian.com/network.htm   - a lot of reading

http://www.usenet-forums.com/linux-networking/69858-connecting-two-networks-two-linux-boxes.html
       http://linux-ip.net/html/routing-local.html
       http://leaf.sourceforge.net/ - setting up a Linux router/firewall

Colin
PS
           I started with a Redhat 5 PC with 2 nics as my initial
router. I replaced it with a LEAF project, floppy/CD combination ROUTER.
I finally bought a D-Link Router with Wireless. My first Linux was
Slakeware 0.7 on 7 5.25" floppies on a Sperry 286 PC.
          I mainly work with CISCO, Nortel and Efficient Networks
equipment. Install and service but not much with configuration.
          I do know that bridging is between two dissimilar physical
networks (i.e. 5bt and 10/100bt) on the same sub net while routers
connect different subnets together.