[CS-FSLUG] OS distro

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Sat Oct 11 15:42:59 CDT 2008

Josiah Ritchie wrote:
>>> Ubuntu. It's easy to stay current with a minimal amount of fuss. And it
>>> happens to work with all of our hardware - at the moment.
>> I support a LOT of hardware, very little of it identical. The ONLY
>> distro. that I can count on is openSUSE or Novell SLES/SLES. Time is
>> something I don't have an excessive amount of and other distros. just
>> don't cut for me.
>
> Okay, let's good naturedly heat it up a bit... What is left out of
> Ubuntu that you appreciate on SUSE (aside from the obvious answer,
> Banshee since Novell pays the major developers of that project)?

Drivers for starters, and Yast....which NO other distro. has as good a
setup utility yet. Bibletime...just works ritght. BibblePro runs
perfectly. It's a commercial app. that is the BEST pre-print pre-process
pre-print app. available. It will barf on Ubuntu/Kubuntu but I haven't
had it happen on SUSE. If you want to use KDE and/or Compiz, you pretty
much have to use SUSE because so many of their people are involved with
the development of both....updates are almost "by the hour."

> I'm pretty sure we can count on you, Fred, for a clear opinion. You're
> pretty dependable on that. I think you've actually had the same distro
> in each distro war since I joined this list around 2000, which
> certainly speaks to your broad knowledge and understanding of the SUSE
> way of doing Linux. If I were to ever switch to it, you'd be on the
> top of my list of "ask him" guys. :-)

Hehehe...ok. SUSE has it quirks like the rest, and I DO play around with
most of the rest of the distros. But, if you're responsible for a lot of
hardware - systems that MUST be up and running reliably, then there just
isn't any choice, IMHO, but to use SUSE.

Fred

--
"Politicians and diapers need to be changed
regularly -- and for the same reason."