[CS-FSLUG] Try Kubuntu 8.10 KDE 4.1.2 Nathan and all others interested

Micah Yoder yoderm at gmail.com
Sun Nov 30 02:45:37 CST 2008

Just upgraded to Intrepid today.

>> * Does user switching work? I use this to share my laptop with my
>> wife. Works fine Feisty through Hardy in KDE 3.5.x, but when I tried
>> to run KDE4 in Hardy it didn't work.
>
> It still doesn't work.

Seems to work for me. (Only tried it once so far, but no problems.)

>> * Does it automatically put your monitor(s) into powersaving mode
>> after inactivity? I use Fedora 9 at work with KDE4 and it currently
>> does not work. (It started not working, then worked for a while after
>> an update, and was broke again by another update.) This is extremely
>> essential because I don't want my laptop screen backlight worn down.
>> (I generally leave my laptop on 24x7, because suspend/resume doesn't
>> reliably work in Linux.)
>
> On openSUSE it works, it DIDN'T on KUbuntu 8.10.

Seems to do it after 10 minutes or so, which it also did under Hardy.
This is *not* the setting I have, so something else is in play. But
it's better than not working at all. I can live with it.

>> * If you have an nVidia card, have you been hit by the "slowness bug"?
>> I've heard reports of it but am not sure how widespread it is. I have
>> a 7600 and use the binary driver (but don't like it!).
>
> The driver still isn't as good as it should be....fine on some chipsets
> and not on others.

It's acceptable. I love the desktop effects! It has an Expose feature,
which is my favorite part of Mac OS X. And the screen magnifier will
be helpful for me.

>> * In Konqueror, if you hold down Ctrl and scroll the mouse wheel to
>> increase the font size, does it automatically word wrap correctly?
>> Works great in Konq 3.5, but everywhere I've used 4.x it did not re-do
>> the word-wrap, causing the page width to far exceed my monitor space,
>> requiring me to scroll horizontally each line.
>
> 4.0 is still buggy....NOT all features are in it yet that should
> be...won't be probably till v4.2.

Yeah, Konqueror still doesn't re-flow the page on font increase. :(

Overall, this is my first Ubuntu upgrade that wasn't a disaster. I
installed my laptop with Feisty. Upgrading to Gutsy forced me to fix
some minor things (I forget what now). Gutsy to Hardy inconceivably
started some webcam program that continually took pictures of me -- as
a loop in the init script, preventing X from starting! It then put my
mixer settings such that there was a loud audio feedback between the
laptop's mic and speakers, scaring the heck out of my sleeping wife.

This week I also upgraded my work desktop from Fedora 9 to 10. It went
quite smoothly with the pre-upgrade thing. It downloaded all the
necessary packages (and not everything else!), and modified Grub to
run the upgrader on next reboot. There was no other interaction on my
part. Slick.