[CS-FSLUG] Sony Laptops?

Karl Kleinpaste karl at kleinpaste.org
Wed Nov 19 08:17:06 CST 2008

David McGlone <d.mcglone at att.net> writes:
> But I am jealous of my mother-in-laws Toshiba
> Satellite. Kubuntu runs flawlessly on it.

I have a Satellite P205.  On the whole, it works fine in F9 but there
are a couple glitches:
- the built-in webcam, a Microdia thing with a Sonix chip, does not
  work, even though the kernel believes it knows this camera: The USB
  infrastructure identifies it and auto-creates /dev/video0, but no
  use I've tried with it (e.g. skype, gyachi) works, at best it shows
  a blank/black image and at worst it confuses skype.
- the Intel graphics device, GM965, goes insane when the laptop is
  merely suspended and then brought back up, so my only non-reboot
  solution is full hibernation.
- pulseaudio and I don't get along, so I have resorted to raw audio
  device assignment in skype.  I have no idea why pulseaudio can't just
  get it right.

I'm hoping for improvement in F10 in a week, but we'll just have to see.

On the whole I like this laptop, but my biggest reason for enjoying it
is its 17" screen.  I like a lot of screen real estate, and I have
horrible eyesight.