[CS-FSLUG] PD: Am I Pro Life? was: Does this guy have guts, or what? Alright!!

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sun Nov 16 00:45:23 CST 2008

>   **
>
>       * *Would you want a sign on the front door of Faith:
>         “Republicans welcome – Democrats not allowed.” (Or
>         vice-versa)?  I think not.  Our political party, of choice,
>         should not label us as a sinner, or an enemy.  The truth of
>         the matter is that there are sincere Christ followers, with
>         deep Biblical convictions, in both political parties.  Suppose
>         someone, on the other side of the line, sat next to you in
>         church this weekend – would they know without question that
>         you love them and want God’s best for them?*

	Amen, preach it, brother.

>       * *Is it wise to vote for someone based on one issue; without
>         considering their qualifications and their stance on other
>         important issues?  I realize that is being suggested by some
>         and I think that is unfortunate and unwise.  We must go
>         further and take a look at the candidate’s stance on other
>         important issues.  It seems obvious to me that someone’s
>         stance on one issue does not qualify them to hold office.*

	I'm less sure on that one. If someone supported genocide, would you
support them because of their strong fiscal policy? Well, maybe a
better tact: maybe we should never vote for someone because of one
issue, but I think one issue is enough reason not to vote for somebody.

>   **
>
>       * *Are your convictions Biblical? That’s good.  But is the way
>         you communicate those convictions honoring to God and
> people?          If Jesus were to counsel you right now on your
> words, attitude
>         and actions with regard to people on the other side of the
>         line, what would He say?*

	Amen, again, on this.

>   **
>
>       * *Are you concerned about the drift of our culture away from
>         Christian values? Do you believe the solution is political?
>         Could I suggest that if God would have believed a political
>         system would change individuals or societies He would have
>         sent His Son to establish one.  Jesus did not come to
>         establish a political system.  He came to make provision for
>         the salvation of all people and to establish a community of
>         people who: love Him above all else; devote themselves to live
>         their lives in step with Him; love people who are often
>         unlovely; and dedicate themselves to the salvation of everyone
>         who can be saved.*

	Bingo.

>   */“I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession
>   and thanksgiving be made for everyone – for kings and all those in
>   authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all
>   godliness and holiness.  This is good, and pleases God our Savior,
>   who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the
>   truth.” /**(TNIV) 1 Timothy 2:1-4*

	Amen.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Bad is so bad, that we cannot but think good
Editor, OfB.biz   | an accident;  good is so  good, that  we feel
tbutler at ofb.biz   | certain that evil could be explained."
timothybutler.us  |                           -- G. K. Chesterton