[CS-FSLUG] PD: Am I Pro Life? was: Does this guy have guts, or what? Alright!!

Warren Sanders warren at sandersonline.org
Sat Nov 15 15:17:43 CST 2008

I am going to sick my neck out on a limb here and quote my pastor on
this topic for Fred and others.  I am proud to have the same belief
about this not just because he is my Pastor.  I do not claim allegiance
to any political party therefore find it very irresponsible of anyone to
vote partyline.

    *Friends,*

    * *

    *Yes! I am pro-life! I am pro-life before a child is born.  I am
    pro-life after a child is born.  And I am pro-eternal life.  *

    * *

    *The recent presidential election brought to the surface the
    polarization that exists in our nation and among followers of
    Christ.  As in most presidential elections the vote is very close to
    50% for each candidate.  Imagine it, no matter who you vote for 50%
    of the people voted for the other candidate and have deep
    convictions about why they did.  Unfortunately, 50% of the people
    are afraid, angry, or disillusioned no matter who wins the
    election.  The lines are clearly drawn – 50% on one side – 50% on
    the other.  *

    * *

    *How are we to think in times like this?  What are our priorities?
    How do we view people – including fellow Christ followers – who
    disagree with us? How do churches and Christian leaders respond
    appropriately to our times?  It seems to me there are several
    critical issues we must grapple with.*

    * *

        * *Do you want to attend a church where the pastor tells you how
          to vote?  I don’t think so.  I believe we all love and
          appreciate living in a nation where we are free to go into a
          voting booth and privately vote according to our conscience.
          That kind of freedom is what our nation was founded on and for
          which many have shed their blood and sacrificed their reputation.*

    **

        * *Would you want a sign on the front door of Faith:
          “Republicans welcome – Democrats not allowed.” (Or
          vice-versa)?  I think not.  Our political party, of choice,
          should not label us as a sinner, or an enemy.  The truth of
          the matter is that there are sincere Christ followers, with
          deep Biblical convictions, in both political parties.  Suppose
          someone, on the other side of the line, sat next to you in
          church this weekend – would they know without question that
          you love them and want God’s best for them?*

    **

        * *Would it be your desire to exclude 50% of the population of
          our community from our influence for Christ?  Of course not.
          To draw the line in the sand with regard to advocating one
          political party to the exclusion of another would do so.
          Jesus came to this earth to reveal the love of God for all
          people (the world) and to make provision for their sins.  We
          want to create an atmosphere that gives all people the
          opportunity to come and hear the good news of Christ.*

    **

        * *Are you persuaded by someone who obviously doesn’t like you?
          Of course not.  In Jesus day many people, ‘sinners’, were
          alienated from God because they were alienated by the
          religious leaders of the day.  Jesus came and reached out to
          the very people others had rejected.  That is why He came, “To
          seek and save that which had been lost.”  We, as a church,
          have a calling to reach out to people; people who are far from
          God, as well as followers of Christ who may have a different
          understanding of complex issues.  Only when they know we love
          them sincerely will they be able to hear our message.*

    **

        * *Is Jesus pleased with your thoughts, words, and actions
          toward people on the other side of the line?  How do you
          know?  What is the means of evaluating that?  Do you love
          them?  Is that love reflected in the way you communicate about
          them and to them?  Jesus said everything hinges on loving God
          and loving people.*

    **

        * *Is it wise to vote for someone based on one issue; without
          considering their qualifications and their stance on other
          important issues?  I realize that is being suggested by some
          and I think that is unfortunate and unwise.  We must go
          further and take a look at the candidate’s stance on other
          important issues.  It seems obvious to me that someone’s
          stance on one issue does not qualify them to hold office.*

    **

        * *Are your convictions Biblical? That’s good.  But is the way
          you communicate those convictions honoring to God and people?
          If Jesus were to counsel you right now on your words, attitude
          and actions with regard to people on the other side of the
          line, what would He say?*

    **

        * *Are you concerned about the drift of our culture away from
          Christian values? Do you believe the solution is political?
          Could I suggest that if God would have believed a political
          system would change individuals or societies He would have
          sent His Son to establish one.  Jesus did not come to
          establish a political system.  He came to make provision for
          the salvation of all people and to establish a community of
          people who: love Him above all else; devote themselves to live
          their lives in step with Him; love people who are often
          unlovely; and dedicate themselves to the salvation of everyone
          who can be saved.*

    **

        * *It seems to me, the mark of maturity in followers of Christ
          is to love people who are different than ourselves, disagree
          with us, and perhaps even distance themselves from us.  The
          alternative is fear, bitterness, anger, suspicion, and
          alienation from the very people Jesus calls us to reach out
          to.  While I will not defend positions on issues that are
          unbiblical – I will defend keeping the line of communication
          open that we may continue to have an influence for Christ.*

    **

        * *Which side of the line are you on – Democrat or Republican?
          Are you pleased about the election results or disappointed?
          Irrespective of your view of the President elect would you
          please allow me to suggest the following? *

    **

    */“I urge, then, first of all, that petitions, prayers, intercession
    and thanksgiving be made for everyone – for kings and all those in
    authority, that we may live peaceful and quiet lives in all
    godliness and holiness.  This is good, and pleases God our Savior,
    who wants all people to be saved and to come to a knowledge of the
    truth.” /**(TNIV) 1 Timothy 2:1-4*

    * *

    */“Show proper respect to everyone, love your fellow believers, fear
    God, honor the emperor.”/** (TNIV) 1 Peter 2:17 *

    * *

    */“Remind the people to be subject to rulers and authorities, to be
    obedient, to be ready to do whatever is good, to slander no one, to
    be peaceable and considerate, and always to be gentle toward
    everyone.” /**(TNIV) Titus 3:1-2*

    * *

    *Let’s set aside our differences on the presidential campaign and
    pray for the President elect, our nation, and our world.  Let’s
    focus ourselves once again on the task at hand.  Remember you can
    make a difference in someone’s forever! *

    * *

    *I am grateful to serve Him – with you!*

    * *

    *Determined to be more like Jesus…*

    * *

    *Stan**