[CS-FSLUG] Top 3 Open Source Software

Legatus lists at runyanrants.net
Thu Nov 13 10:02:30 CST 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:48,  <veritosproject at gmail.com> wrote:
> Python
> TeX
> Firefox
>
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 7:08 AM, Vincent Danen <vdanen at linsec.ca> wrote:
>> * [2008-11-12 19:40:28 -0600] Timothy Butler wrote:
>>
>>> I'd say:
>>>
>>>        Firefox
>>>        Perl
>>>        OpenSSH
>>
>> A man, closely, after my own heart.  Definitely openssh as number one.
>> Then I'd have to say joe, then probably rsync.  Can't imagine life
>> without any of them.

Free/OpenBSD & Linux w/GNU tools - Without these most of the rest of
it doesn't exist
GCC - a free and open compiler was needed to open up the marketplace
to the non-professional
Mozilla - The first thing that most non-geek users learned about and understood

Now for my favorites

OpenSSH - nothing better for simple secure system management, plus it
gives me so many possibilities to annoy my security chief

multi-gnome-terminal - I hope this comes back. I have it working, but
it hasn't been updated in years. It is by far the most flexible
terminal application I have ever used.

Samba - I don't use it a  lot, but I love to see an open source
project that starts out to add compatibility, and then one ups what
they are copying at every turn. It is faster, and it allows me to
promise people that they can still access the annoying windows file
servers, or can replace the file servers with Linux/BSD/etc

Honorable Mention

Evolution - I use it daily. I hate PIMs, but I must manage my calendar
or my boss gets annoyed. It is a good bridge app. I find it as useful
as Outlook, but I hate PIMs (I mentioned that right). I also don't
trust that MDL has retained enough separation from MS to protect the
openess of the project for the forseeable future.

--
JD Runyan

Robert Orben  - "Never raise your hand to your children - it leaves
your midsection unprotected."