[CS-FSLUG] Study Bible

Eduardo Sánchez lists at sombragris.org
Mon Nov 10 19:02:49 CST 2008

On Monday 10 November 2008 11.52.51 Keli of Coxsackie wrote:
> The problem I have with Study Bibles is WHO are the authors and how
> are they living their life?
> So they might agree on a few points of doctrine - big deal - Do they
> show that Love has been poured out in their hearts?
> Do they live like the church did back in Acts ch 2 and 4 ?

[snip]

I think this line of inquiry is commendable but wholly unnecessary. The
agreement in some points of doctrine is BIG deal indeed... The only
requirement, Christian-wise, of the notes of any study Bible, is their
agreement and total submission to the teachings of the Bible itself, the
Word of God. See e.g. Isaiah 8:20, where "testimony" should be
understood as a synonym-parallell of Torah, i.e., the law, the
instruction.

That the teachers must live a godly life is a requirement for their
benefit, not necessarily for ours. Granted, a Christian author is
usually a holy, sanctified person, but this is icing on the cake, not
the cake itself.

I'd rather have good doctrine from an adulterer or a murderer than false
doctrine from someone earnestly trying to live a holy life.

Blessings,

Eduardo
--
Eduardo Sanchez, B. Th.