[CS-FSLUG] Ubuntu on Mac Update

Jason P. Franklin pastor.jason at westwoodbf.com
Sat Nov 8 23:32:10 CST 2008

Well, it's been a couple days now.  For the most part it's running
smoothly.  One of the things I can say I like more about Linux than OS X
is the absolute customization possible.  I must confess, I can sink
hours into playing with themes and layouts.  There are few things I'm
still trying to straighten out. I've spent a lot of time searching and
reading forums, documents and blogs.  Some outstanding issues include:

Screen flicker: the brightness of the LCD tends to flicker, especially
when running on battery.
Sound: The volume isn't quite right.  Generally not as loud as it was on
Mac OS X.  I did manage to adjust some settings which increased the
volume, but that distorted the sound too much.  Still working on it.
Headphones: (a subset of sound) The headphone jack does not seem to
work.  None of the fixes and workarounds I've seen have succeeded in
resolving the issue.

There are some things I'm not even sure how to describe, much less
classify, but none of this is show stopper stuff.  All in all it's nice
to be back in Linux land.  I've forgotten a lot and then of course, some
things have changed.

--
Jason P. Franklin
Christian/Husband/Father/Missionary