[CS-FSLUG] They have started already... HR6257 To Reauthorize the Assault Weapon Ban

Jason P. Franklin pastor.jason at westwoodbf.com
Sat Nov 8 19:37:16 CST 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-08 at 17:55 -0500, Tina Gasperson wrote:

> On Sat, Nov 8, 2008 at 4:28 PM, David McGlone <d.mcglone at att.net>
> wrote:
> >
> > Who in the world would need an AK-47 other than the military anyhow?
>
> I recently came to a realization about this whole 2nd amendment thing:
> it is precisely because the military has these things that it is vital
> that citizens are legally permitted to have them as well. It may sound
> "out there" at this point in time to think that the military would
> ever overtake the citizenry, but it is certainly not out of the
> question if things ever head in that direction. That, I believe, is
> the point of the 2nd amendment.

I wouldn't narrow it to simply defending against a military takeover.

My 5th & 6th graders have been studying the Declaration of Independence,
Constitution and Bill of Rights, as well as other patriotic documents
such as "The American's Creed".  The Declaration, for example, states:
"Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from
the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government
becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to
alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government,"

The National Archives website also states the following regarding the
"Bill of Rights":
"During the debates on the adoption of the Constitution, its opponents
repeatedly charged that the Constitution as drafted would open the way
to tyranny by the central government. Fresh in their minds was the
memory of the British violation of civil rights before and during the
Revolution. They demanded a "bill of rights" that would spell out the
immunities of individual citizens."

Herein lies the importance of the 2nd, 3rd & 4th amendments.  According
to the Declaration of Independence and Constitution I, as a human in
general and a citizen in particular, have the right (one might even
argue obligation) to defend myself, my loved ones and my property even
from my own government and it's military.

When I enlisted in the Army I swore an oath to defend the Constitution
of the United States against enemies, both foreign and domestic.
Despite the fact that the military decided I was medically unfit for
service, I still swore that oath and will abide by it.   I do not
believe it too far fetched to consider the possibility that I might
needs defend it against the very government of this nation.  Each year
sees an ever increasing amount of power being grabbed by the government
as an institution.  Now, I pray it never comes to that.

However distasteful such a concept is, it is this exactly this which
caused the founders to ensure the right of citizens to arm themselves.
While the modern day assault rifle may not have been invented in 1789,
weapons of war and defense were different from hunting weapons.  The
founders did not limit which types of weaponry the citizenry were
allowed to carry.  The could have excluded handguns.  They did not.  Our
founders wanted a well armed and well organized citizenry which would be
ready to defend itself against any attacker (be they Redcoat, Blue or
Green).

So, while I do not currently own a hand gun or assault weapon, I support
the Constitution of the United States of America and take to hear the
lessons our Founders learned.

--
Jason P. Franklin
Christian/Husband/Father/Missionary