[CS-FSLUG] Mac to Linux: Bible Software

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Mon Nov 3 10:17:11 CST 2008

>> Even on my Mac I used Bible Desktop then MacSword.  Sword does have
>> ESV (which Karl just mentioned).  The area I'd like to see it
>> expanded is in other commentary texts and books by guys like John
>> Piper.  I've dipped my toe into creating a module or two.
>> Nothing's worked yet, but I'm not a programmer.  I'd love to see
>> the Sword project work out a deal with Desiring God and Crossway to
>> produce modules of Pipers major works.  I'd also love to see them
>> produce works and sermons by great men such as Jonathan Edwards.

	That would be nice. Module portability would be awfully nice too. I
sort of hate to think when one buys a commercial Bible module that one
is locked into a specific program.

	I've picked up a few modules that are just tremendous, as of late.
One is a searchable, cross referenced comparison of the 100 most
significant NT manuscripts. It's like the UBS and NA apparatuses
(apparatii?) on steroids. I wonder if Karl or someone else could speak
to the plausibility of writing a Logos or Accordance to SWORD
convertor? It seems to me that would be permissible for personal use,
although maybe it would be an issue like DeCSS?

	Books, in many ways are advantageous over electronic resources still.
But the sheer speed of working with electronic study tools is hard to
resist.

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Turning and turning in the widening gyre
tbutler at ofb.biz   |  The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
timothybutler.us  |  Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
uninet.info       |  Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."
                                                 -- W. B. Yeats