[CS-FSLUG] Mac to Linux: Bible Software

Jason P. Franklin pastor.jason at westwoodbf.com
Sun Nov 2 18:08:29 CST 2008

Timothy Butler wrote:
>     Probably one of the best things I have going on the Mac is that I
> keep Accordance open when listening to a lecture or writing a paper. I
> pop in there, find a Greek word of interest, triple click it and have
> immediate access to the two foremost lexicons (BDAG and Louw & Nida).
>
>     This, to me, seems like a major opportunity in Linux. After all,
> Linux is perfect for third world laptops, and many of those Christians
> in those countries could make use of powerful Bible tools.
>
>     I'd like to see a WINE-like interface for Cocoa and Carbon apps.
> I'd suspect translating the much more publicly known APIs to Linux
> would be easier (thanks to GNUstep, etc.) would be easier than Win32
> was. And now that most apps are Universal...
>
>     -Tim
Even on my Mac I used Bible Desktop then MacSword.  Sword does have ESV
(which Karl just mentioned).  The area I'd like to see it expanded is in
other commentary texts and books by guys like John Piper.  I've dipped
my toe into creating a module or two.  Nothing's worked yet, but I'm not
a programmer.  I'd love to see the Sword project work out a deal with
Desiring God and Crossway to produce modules of Pipers major works.  I'd
also love to see them produce works and sermons by great men such as
Jonathan Edwards.