[CS-FSLUG] TD: Any Theology recomendations?

David McGlone d.mcglone at att.net
Mon Nov 3 07:39:47 CST 2008

On Sunday 02 November 2008 11:16:54 pm Jason P. Franklin wrote:
> David McGlone wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Can anyone recommend some good theology books? I've been contemplating
> > studying theology, because I think it will give me a greater
> > understanding of my faith.
>
> David,
>
> I'm sure you'll get a million and one responses, some on the thread,
> others direct to you personally.  There are innumerable resources out
> there.  This thread, sort of spanning the spectrum of Christian belief,
> will likely result in many different suggestions.  For what it's worth
> here are mine:
>
> Most important is to get a good Study Bible.  I prefer the English
> Standard Version (ESV).  I use the Reformation Study Bible (which I
> believe Tim also has a copy of).  Read the Bible every day.  Soak in
> it.  Pour through it.  When all is said and done, all the theology books
> simply try to repackage what the Bible says.  None of those other books
> are the authoritative, inspired word of God.  Bank on the Bible.

I do read my bible almost daily. My favorite being "The Mens Devotional Bible"
and "Gods Word". I also have 2 King James bibles.

> Here are some excellent sites which have resources:
> biblicaltraining.org
> desiringgod.org
> theresurgence.com
>
> Five Books:
> The Reformation Study Bible (as mentioned before)
> The Crossway Comprehensive Concordance of the Holy Bible - ESV
> The Crossway Illustrated Bible Handbook (great background on the Bible
> and cultures & events mentioned in the Bible).
> Bible Study Methods by Rick Warren
> Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem

I will note these books. I researched quite a bit before coming here and I
found this site.
http://www.reformationtheology.com/2007/11/sound_advice_for_studying_theo.php

It recommends a few books in 3 categories and I've reserved Systematic
Theology from the library and will be picking it up today.

Hopefully this will help me understand better why some of my feelings
contradict with the bible.

--
David M.