[CS-FSLUG] TD: Any Theology recomendations?

Jason P. Franklin pastor.jason at westwoodbf.com
Sun Nov 2 22:16:54 CST 2008

David McGlone wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone recommend some good theology books? I've been contemplating
> studying theology, because I think it will give me a greater understanding of my faith.

David,

I'm sure you'll get a million and one responses, some on the thread,
others direct to you personally.  There are innumerable resources out
there.  This thread, sort of spanning the spectrum of Christian belief,
will likely result in many different suggestions.  For what it's worth
here are mine:

Most important is to get a good Study Bible.  I prefer the English
Standard Version (ESV).  I use the Reformation Study Bible (which I
believe Tim also has a copy of).  Read the Bible every day.  Soak in
it.  Pour through it.  When all is said and done, all the theology books
simply try to repackage what the Bible says.  None of those other books
are the authoritative, inspired word of God.  Bank on the Bible.

Here are some excellent sites which have resources:
biblicaltraining.org
desiringgod.org
theresurgence.com

Five Books:
The Reformation Study Bible (as mentioned before)
The Crossway Comprehensive Concordance of the Holy Bible - ESV
The Crossway Illustrated Bible Handbook (great background on the Bible
and cultures & events mentioned in the Bible).
Bible Study Methods by Rick Warren
Systematic Theology by Wayne Grudem

There are my suggestions.

--Jason