[CS-FSLUG] Linux on Core Duo MacBook

Jason P. Franklin pastor.jason at westwoodbf.com
Sun Nov 2 08:49:35 CST 2008

Timothy Butler wrote:
"I guess my bigger question is, where do we draw the line?...Also, how does this relate to 1 Cor. 10.26-11.1? Is an Apple computer essentially a piece of meat sacrificed to idols? If so, and my exegesis of that passage is correct, the reason we ought to choose between using Apple or not (or Sony or not) is primarily what will give the best witness to others. (And, certainly, we are under no obligation to inquire of a given company's policies -- "don't ask, don't tell" may apply, I think.)

---

Ed Hurst wrote:
"We draw it where our convictions and conscience demands. Most of us aren't 100% conscious of where we would draw the line before someone crosses it. We may sense it broadly, but at some point reason alone is unable to capture the whole principle, but the Spirit moves and we know it. We obey."

---

John Glass wrote:
"I think you have a point here. Apple, by being very public in their support, seems to have crossed a line (as someone else said)...

---

Micah Yoder wrote:
"If you really can't live with Apple, why not sell it?"

---

My Turn:
This is for me a conscience thing.  I think Tim's analogy (vis a vis "meat") is spot on.  I can no longer, in good conscience "eat this meat" or support its use.  Apple crossed a line I wasn't aware I even had.  When I heard about their support I had to research it for myself.  When I discovered it to be fact my entire being forced a reaction from me.

As to Micah's suggestion, I've thought about it.  Honestly I'd be willing to either sell or swap it for something comparable.  The difficulty lies in my living in a very remote area.  Ebay isn't an option as I'd not be able to replace the computer fast enough... I use it for work and can't be without a computer for more than the weekend.  So I'd need to do a live swap.  And if God presents me with the opportunity, I will take it and shake loose from Apple altogether.