[CS-FSLUG] Linux on Core Duo MacBook

Timothy Butler tbutler at ofb.biz
Sat Nov 1 16:58:24 CDT 2008

> I am wondering if anyone can recommend (or not recommend) a linux
> distro for an Macbook with an Intel-Core Duo processor.

	I'd probably use Ubuntu.

> The reason for the switch is that with Apple's recent donation of
> money to fight Prop 8 here in california, I can no longer in good
> conscience use apple products.  I'm not going to toss my macbook out
> (its paid for) but I don't have to use their OS.  I will be
> canceling my .Mac (or .me now) account very soon.

	Hey, your OS is paid for too -- might as well use it, right?

	I'd ask a larger question though: pretty much every technology
company I know of -- Linux, Mac, Windows or internet oriented -- tends
to lean very liberally in whatever politics they admit to. Google,
Microsoft, Apple, etc., all have been that way. I wonder how much a
user can really escape it. I guess one can refuse to donate to the
Linux distro they use, of course...

	I've never been quite sure of the proper response to these things,
admittedly. For the moment I'm sitting tight using my Apple products,
keeping my Apple stock and continuing my business relationship with
Google. I don't like it, though. Of course, since they aren't
Christians, I'm not sure I should be so worried about it. They are the
world to which I am suppose to be a witness.

	Thoughts?

	-Tim

---
Timothy R. Butler | "Do  not forget that  the value and interest of
Editor, OfB.biz   | life is not so much to do conspicuous things...
tbutler at ofb.biz   | as to do ordinary things with the perception of
timothybutler.us  | their enormous value."
                                       -- Pierre Teilhard de Chardin