[CS-FSLUG] Network storage

l4c l4c at thelinuxlink.net
Sun May 25 20:12:19 CDT 2008

Nathan T. wrote:
> Tim Young wrote:
>> For "not secure" information, I like the Buffalo Terastation or
>> linkstation devices. They are small, compact, quiet, and do not need
>> much electricity. I believe they run a chopped down Linux/samba
>> solution. Because of that, and not much in the way of user interface,
>> they do not have a lot of built-in file-level security
>> (ownership/permissions, etc). But for insecure data, they work very well.
>>
>> Not sure if that was the sort of thing you were looking for...
>>
>> - Tim Young
>
> Tim,
>
> I've been looking at some devices from Synology and QNap, they look
> interesting and I could handle the price tag. My only concern is how
> well they work with Windows Vista and Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard. I haven't
> seen much regarding updated firmware for these two operating systems,
> and I don't know how well they would work with Linux at all. With the
> Nexstar LX I have (that is nothing more than a SMB and FTP box) the
> functionality in Windows seems the most intact, with Mac OS X it's
> noticeably broken, and with Ubuntu it's 90% broken with the intermittent
> moment of functionality. OS compatibility is absolutely important, and
> having the pleasure of once using FreeNAS for experimentation, I'm
> looking forward to the day when someone makes a small, open standard NAS
> that runs off that.
>
> Let me know if you can offer more information specifically regarding
> compatibility with all three operating systems, and especially the use
> of a modern file system on the storage device rather than what I'm
> experiencing with the Nexstar LX (fat32) which barfs up half the files I
> try to put on it because of the file names.
>
> Thanks Tim. I'm looking forward to getting more input on these devices,
> particularly if anyone has one they're particularly content with.

Dunno if this will help, but I bought a Simpletech 500gb NAS a good
while back.  It serves quite well for extra storage on my network and
has no problems with Linux or OS X.  I can't imagine any NAS having any
probs really.  I cannot find the same one for sale anymore, however,
there are several available on buy.com or amazon for around the $150
price range.  No computer needed, and they run almost silent!

--
-Linc Fessenden