[CS-FSLUG] Church Management Software

Tim Young Tim.Young at LightSys.org
Fri Mar 28 09:11:11 CDT 2008

Hi,
I have refrained from speaking up too much about this topic.  First of
all, let me say that I think it is a very good project, lest my other
comments lead you to think otherwise...  :)

I am involved in building a similar project for mission organizations,
"Kardia" (kardia.sf.net).  The web-site is woefully out of date.  But
suffice it to say that we are hoping to have our first usable version
out in a few months.  Kardia is focused entirely on missions, and would
take a lot of work to get it to function for a church.

While I do not know which priorities you should take, I would like to
mention that "payroll/tax" is a HUGE item.  The finances in general are
a bit rough.  Every church will have it's own chart of accounts and own
accounting practices.  Building a financial package that works for a
large group of churches will be very difficult.  We are doing this in
Kardia for missions, and it is a massive undertaking.  Most software out
there for missions, even the $300,000 versions, does not contain payroll
as a part of it.  A few had it in it, but they dropped it because of the
complexity.

My recommendation is that you look at your question of which modules to
start with on two fronts.  Yes, look for the highest impact items you
can find, but balance that out with items that can be done in a timely
manner.

I think that, with a little bit of work, you could find a way to
export/import to quickbooks, kMyMoney, or some other financial
management software.  While this would not be the long-term solution, it
may give you a good jump-start.  If financials are one of the things you
want to start with, tying it in with another program at the beginning
may get you a fair bit farther in the beginning.

The other thing I would like to mention, is that, if you can use one of
the many multi-lingual code design systems, that may help as well.  What
you are making will be very helpful for churches here in the States, but
it will be equally as useful overseas.  If it is easy to build
translations, then you will have increased your audience by a huge
margin.  So I would like to encourage you to look into that.

So, with those comments, let me re-ask Robert's question:  Which of the
following will make the biggest impact on churches in your initial
target audience.
> * Track donations
> * Track attendance
> * Promotional mailings
> * Worship service scheduling (bulletins, announcements, others?)
> * Worship service execution (slides, recordings)
> * Manage ministry/administrative teams
> * Time tracking for employees
> * Pay bills
> * Payroll, taxes, and other accounting goodies
> * Membership roll
> * Mailing list

- Tim Young