[CS-FSLUG] Church Management Software

Fred A. Miller fmiller at lightlink.com
Wed Mar 26 23:53:37 CDT 2008

Robert W. wrote:
> "Fred A. Miller" <fmiller at lightlink.com> wrote:
>> As well as that works well for you, we is needed is a turn key
>> solution for small churches. It's been needed for a long time, but I
>> don't see it happening. If I only was a code jockey............;)
>
> I think we'll have some trouble completing a "turn-key" solution. Every
> church is different. They will all have some minor, but annoying
> difference. And our project turns into a configuration nightmare.

Possible, yet a "turn-key" solution is the only viable solution, IMHO.

> Yes, documentation helps. And now you have non-technical pastors reading
> a 100 page manual. The solution is no longer "turn-key".

Yes it is. They still have to refer to manuals if they use spread
sheets, etc., no matter what software they use. I've had too much
contact with too many churches over this very topic to not know what
they use and how they find out how to use the software.

> Or we stick to our guns, and churches start doing bizarre things to
> work around the system limitations. Eventually leaving for some
> proprietary solution that a consultant customizes for them. And the
> cycle starts ever anew.

Sure does!

> Installation support is a reality. I'm not being negative. This can be
> done. Linux is the best platform to really help churches. And we have A
> LOT of smart people on this list.

The latter I agree with, except for your's truly. I'm just an old junk
yard dog who manages to by the grace of God to get some things done well.

Fred

--
A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?