[CS-FSLUG] Church Management Software

Josiah Ritchie josiah at ritchietribe.net
Wed Mar 26 12:58:09 CDT 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 1:50 PM, EnzoAeneas <enzoaeneas at gmail.com> wrote:
> The software shouldn't be dependent on a dedicated server being
>  available or even a server at all; that being said, it should be able
>  to take advantage of the increased capabilities of a dedicated server.
>
>  This would give us two primary flavors:
>
>  1. desktop: able to update peer2peer, to web, file share
>  2. server: interacts with desktop client or provides web-interface;
>  best for larger# of users

I think this introduces a complexity to the end user that we should
try to avoid. Additionally, having a desktop version will lead to end
users installing it on desktop machines. I don't think it is in the
"kingdom's" best interest for this to ever happen for security and
stability purposes. It is a common mistake we should try to direct
away from.

>  Data should be able to flow from one flavor to the other in a
>  reasonable manner (we would have to determine the what that means)
>
>  For distribution there are more options
>  1. rpm/.deb/ubuntu .deb packages for Linux complete with initial set scripts
>  2. .exe / .msi installers for windows
>  3. Virtual machine image or pre-packaged Virtual machine
>  implementation (only runs our
>     software)

This represents more complexity still. As soon as the end user see
deb, msi, or virtual machine, they are sure to get confused.

JSR/

--
Our Mission
Technology and Hospitality for God's Workmen