[CS-FSLUG] Church Management Software

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Mon Mar 24 14:40:09 CDT 2008

Greg Slade wrote:

> Why would anybody bother building an intranet server if the only person who accesses the database is the church secretary?

Because the web-based solution will scale well to a larger congregation.
  If your church doubles in size each of the next five years; would you
still install a "desktop app" now?

I agree with other points about external hosting; I run InfoCentral on
an Intranet with a single user; we use a Pentium2 400Mhz for the
"server" and the user thinks they have a "desktop app".  I have script
backup the database and send it offsite nightly; Server has not been
upgraded since setup two years ago.

A second installation (also intranet) allows access from internet (can
work with dynamic ip using dyndns.org if your ISP allows server).

I've seen several Excel "applications" tossed out when the initial
"developer" is no longer around when changes need to be made.