[CS-FSLUG] Modem Death

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 19 22:18:57 CDT 2008

Ed Hurst wrote:
> When I tested the
> "dead" modem with a different phone connection, the ATDT command gave me
> a strange buzzing noise, instead of a dial tone.

Why are you testing this "dead" modem as if it were a "live" modem?

The lights might be on, but nobody's home.  Throw it out.

I now remember why we bought that old external fax/modem in the first
place: the computer used for payroll was replaced with a new system that
had no ISA slots; PCI modems do not use com1/com2; payroll software
could only talk to modem on com1/com2.  Therefore, external modem.
You're earlier email was not clear if you actually wanted this museum
piece.  I left it at work, but will be there again next week.  If you
want it, I suppose I should actually test it; but I'm thinking the
postage might be cheaper than my time.

Frank