[CS-FSLUG] Modem Death

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed Mar 19 21:50:06 CDT 2008

Fred A. Miller wrote:
> No dial tone............are the lines there by chance a lot of bare
> copper? Is there static on the "line" or any other problem when using
> the phone? If so, static and low voltages can keep modems from working
> properly. Do you have another modem to check the line with?

I'm in a large metropolitan area with relatively new lines. The phones
are pretty clear for quite some distance out, and our DSL is very hot.

My laptop with an ancient PCMCIA modem gets online over the dialup just
fine (our AT&T account includes a roving dialup). When I tested the
"dead" modem with a different phone connection, the ATDT command gave me
a strange buzzing noise, instead of a dial tone.

Regardless, I find the thing still refuses to identify itself to
computer, so the system has no idea what the thing is on the other side
of the serial port.

--
Ed Hurst