[CS-FSLUG] External Modem

Ed Hurst ehurst at asisaid.com
Wed Mar 19 09:10:07 CDT 2008

Frank Bax wrote:

> I'm looking at a USRobotics Sportster 14,400 Fax modem (from 1994) that
> was used twice per month to transmit payroll before the payroll service
> finally switched to internet a few years back.  It has a 25 pin female
> connector; let me know if you need a cable and/or adapter to go with it.
>
> Is there a reason you don't use internal?  I have several isa and pci
> internal fax modems collecting dust.

I built a machine with a micro board, and it has only one PCI slot, with
plans for another device there. No ISA -- I've got one of those modems,
too. I believe my broken Creative modem uses the same serial port cable,
but I can't be sure the cable isn't bad, so I'd like that, too. And no,
I have no use for a modem otherwise. The company I work with still uses
faxes, and I'm not interested in another piece of equipment cluttering
my home office. Hylafax works just fine, I believe. For the few things I
actually need to put on paper, my dot-matrix printer does just fine.

How's that for a combination of old and new technology? Apparently there
is still some demand for the model you have, because it's listed at
various sites as back-ordered.

--
Ed Hurst