[CS-FSLUG] External Modem

Frank Bax fbax at sympatico.ca
Wed Mar 19 08:44:41 CDT 2008

Ed Hurst wrote:
> While a Net search indicates a few of the dinosaurs called "external
> fax/modem" do exist in retail stock, the prices have not dropped over
> time. Even with inflation noted, $75 is still a bit much. Can anyone
> offer a good used one?
>
> I have a need to setup a fax server on my system, and my old Modem
> Blaster no longer works. I would prefer I be able to power it off until
> I need it for incoming faxes.

You want it for just fax only right?  For fax, speed doesn't matter
since I seem to recall, fax machines always run at 9600 baud anyway.

I'm looking at a USRobotics Sportster 14,400 Fax modem (from 1994) that
was used twice per month to transmit payroll before the payroll service
finally switched to internet a few years back.  It has a 25 pin female
connector; let me know if you need a cable and/or adapter to go with it.

Is there a reason you don't use internal?  I have several isa and pci
internal fax modems collecting dust.

Frank